Friday, February 23, 2024

Sports Things I Hate

Craig and I have been going back and forth about the NFL's wussy overtime rule.  His team benefited so he likes it (YEAH!  THAT'S WHY YOU LIKE IT! 😆).  Clearly, it's a rule for pansies who weep when their team loses in OT under the more logical Sudden Death rule.  

But it made me think of some other things I hate in sports aside from the move toward the NFL being a flag football league if recent rules changes over the last decade or two are any indication.  It's a rough sport and was meant to be so.  It can't work without the violent collisions.  It's what's always made it so attractive to the male half of the American population.  It's just so cool seeing so many incredible examples of almost ballet-like athleticism with the potential of getting one's ass kicked into the next century.  

--First, I hate soccer.  I like watching my granddaughter play the game, because she's really good at it.  But the sport itself I don't need.  It has no appeal to me.  But then, I could say the same for a number of sports not called American football, baseball, basketball or hockey (which I don't watch so much, but don't hate).  Many love the game and clearly it's very popular worldwide.  One only needs a ball, so I get how it became globally popular.  Given the flopping, one would think LeBron James would be a soccer player.

--Speaking of the NBA leading flopper, I'm not keen on James.  Can't say I hate him because I'm not supposed to hate anyone.  He does sicken me, however.  Greatly.  He's a moron of a human being.  He's a racist and given more credit than he deserves.  If one plays a game for a hundred years, it means nothing to hold scoring records or assists records or any other.  As he's constantly compared to Michael Jordan, I would have loved to see them both competing against each other in their prime.  More fun would have been to see James play during the era of the Bad Boys of the Pistons and see him whining all the time.  He's a big baby.  

--In the NBA, I hate how many people like James can run people over....defenders who are moving away from him... and not be called for charging. 

 --I hate how in the NBA, someone like James can be "fouled" by the slightest touch, while a rookie can be criminally assaulted and not get a call.

--I hate how in both the NBA and the NFL a player can be penalized for any inadvertent touch to the head of the opposing player, even when the touch causes not the slightest problem to the player touched.  This is especially egregious in football when one might have to hurl one's self to try to tackle someone and be unable to perfectly control himself to account for any unexpected movement on the part of the person being tackled.  

--I hate the MLB allowing a team to simply "walk" a batter by simply having him go to first base without throwing a single pitch, just to "speed up the game".

--I hate that the MLB found it essential to the existence of the game to speed it up at all, with timers on batters and pitchers.  The slow pace of baseball is only a negative characteristic to morons who have a crappy attention span.  This isn't to say that allowing batters and pitchers to take all day should be permitted.  But discretion on the part of the umpire is a better method of dealing with such intentional delays.  As stated earlier, I have no problem with how long a game lasts given the stupidly high prices of tickets, hot dogs, beer, pretzels, peanuts and Cracker Jack at a sporting event.  Not only will they rape me financially, they'll hustle me out out as quickly as possible.  Screw that.  I've never been to a Major League baseball game and worried about how long it was taking.  I was enjoying the experience and I never cared if I ever got back.  

--It goes without saying that I hate the expense of going to any sporting event.  It wasn't me who thought it a good idea to give any player tens of millions of dollars per year to play.  Now that I'm pretty much retired, I don't know if I'll ever find it worthwhile to put out the cash to go to a professional baseball, basketball or football game.

--I hate the woke shit so common these days in professional sports.  I don't like athletes trying to tell me I'm wrong to regard immoral behaviors as the immoral behaviors they are.  I don't need teams forcing athletes to promote immoral behaviors.  I don't need anyone trying to pretend there's more than one National Anthem and that I must stand during the performance of any song which isn't the Star-Spangled Banner.   I don't need athletes who have more money than I'll ever have interrupting my enjoyment of a game in order to posture as an activist on my dime.  They've got millions.  They can rent time on any TV station or magazine or newspaper to spew their racist crap.  I don't need any team celebrating anything other than the game they're playing.  No black history month, no MLK day, no Asian history month and absolutely no damned "Gay Pride" shit.  Play ball.  Don't do anything more.  (Pitches for actual charities like cancer research or St. Jude's Hospital are absolutely OK).

--I hate athletes and sports broadcasters on sports talk stations getting political, as if it's appropriate or that they know their ass from a hole in the ground on such subjects.  I don't listen for their political opinion in the same way I don't like politics at the Oscars...which I no longer watch for such reasons.  What's more, nobody cares.  In my case, I'm so turned off that morons like LeBron James piss me off more because he thinks he knows a damned thing about politics and current events.  He doesn't and he's way too stupid to be approached by anyone for his opinion on such matters.  He's too stupid to believe Jordan isn't still more qualified to claim the title "GOAT" than he'll ever be.  I've seen a sports guy leave sports reporting to get into political forums.  They're intelligent people.  One that clearly isn't and should never have left sports is Keith Olberman.  He's a completely unhinged asshole who is clearly politically stupid.

--I totally hate end zone celebrations and dances.  I think it was Da Coach, Mike Ditka who said one should act like they've done it before...like they do it all the time, like it's nothing to celebrate because that's the freakin' point.  I believe in football there's supposed to be some regulation of such, but it seems to get worse every year.

I may add more as other things I hate come to mind.  What I've got so far seems to be enough to suggest maybe I should give up pro-sports.  The woke crap alone should be enough.  As it happens, I rarely watch games which don't involve my teams.  I used to watch almost any football or basketball game, especially when I used to wager in confidence pools for football, which I don't do anymore.  I did watch the Super Bowl after insisting I wasn't going to because of the continual presentation of the so-called "Black National Anthem"...an insult to the nation in so many ways.  But I did, and what a shitty game it was.  Anyhow...

UPDATE:

--I though of another.  While I'm cool with what's known as "slaughter rules"...ending the game if one team proves obviously dominant by scoring tons of points while the opponent can't score, I'm totally disgusted when a team whines about the other team running up the score when the game appears to be decided with little chance of the losing team catching up.  It's supposed to be sportsmanship to refrain from running up the score, but to me it's insulting.  While I may feel humiliated as a victim of such play, I can think of no better incentive to practice harder to prevent it ever happening again.  Imagine being the goat and then becoming the G.O.A.T.!  That's the perfect response to one's opponent running up the score.

18 comments:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I couldn't care less about ANY sport.

I meet with 6 other veterans on Wednesday mornings in sort of a "coffee clutch" and sport is a big deal with every one of them. The two oldest guys (91 and mid-80s) know every team and every team member of baseball and football teams since they were born. They rattle off their stats like a computer program! Bores me to tears.

And being near Iowa City, the university teams are in the news all the time, pennants fly from zillions of car, half the population wear shirts with team names, etc,.

Idolatry.

VinnyJH57 said...

Clearly, it's a rule for pansies who weep when their team loses in OT under the more logical Sudden Death rule.

Clearly baseball rules are for pansies since both teams get to bat an equal number of times in extra innings. If it were a man's game, the game would end as soon as one team scored. Tennis rules are for pansies, too, since both players get an equal number of serves in tie-breakers. It should end with the first ace.

It's just so cool seeing so many incredible examples of almost ballet-like athleticism with the potential of getting one's ass kicked into the next century.

Don't forget the traumatic brain injuries. What's more fun than seeing your favorite athlete become a gibbering idiot in his retirement?

I've actually never been all that interested in watching big beefy guys grabbing and jumping on each other. I never played much football, and I'm glad I didn't. I know too many guys who screwed up their knees playing high school football and are still living with the pain fifty years later.

I've never been to a Major League baseball game and worried about how long it was taking.

Neither have I, but I stopped watching baseball on TV a long time ago because I got sick of watching batters stepping out of the batters box and pitchers stepping off the mound.

I totally hate end zone celebrations and dances.

I actually agree with you on this one. I thought baseball was much cooler when a player hit a home run and ran the bases like it wasn't a big deal. I think Mike Ditka's a jerk, though

Brandon Brick said...

1) Before the modern israel state, there was a British mandate, not a Palestinian state.
2) Before the British mandate
The Ottoman Empire existed, not the Palestinian state.
3) Before the Ottoman Empire, there was a fully Islamic state of Egypt, not the Palestinian state.
4) Before the Islamic State of Egypt, the Empire of Ayubid existed, not the Palestinian state. Gofri IV of Bolansky, known as Godfrey de Bullion, conquered Jerusalem in 1099.
5) Before the Empire of Ayubid there was the Christian Kingdom of Jerusalem, not the Palestinian state.
6) Before the Kingdom of Jerusalem there were Umayad and Fatimid empires, not the Palestinian state.
7) Before the empires of the Umaid and Fatimid, there was the Byzantine Empire, not the Palestinian state.
Before the Byzantine Empire, there was the Roman Empire, not the Palestinian state.
9) Before the Roman Empire, the Hasmone state existed, not the Palestinian state.
10) Before the state of Hashmansk, it was a Selbakid state, not the Palestinian state.
11) Before the Slavic Empire, the empire of Alexander Macedonia existed, not the Palestinian state.
12) Before the empire of Alexander of Macedonia, the Persian Empire existed, not the Palestinian state.
13) Before the Persian Empire, the Babylonian Empire existed, not the Palestinian state.
14) Before the Empire of Babylon there were kingdoms of Israel and Judea was not the Palestinian state.
15) Before the kingdoms of israel and Judah was the kingdom of israel , not the state of Palestine.
16) Before the Kingdom of israel there was a theocracy of twelve tribalism of israel , not of the Palestinian state.
17) Before the the theocracy of twelve generations of israel , there was an agglomeration of independent Canaan cities, not the Palestinian state.
In fact, in this corner of the earth there was everything except the Palestinian state.

Marshal Art said...

Glenn,

"Idolatry"???? Really??? Good freakin' gosh!

Please tell me you're just being hyperbolic and this medium is crap for getting sarcasm across.

Marshal Art said...

Vinny,

You're just so precious!

"Clearly baseball rules are for pansies since both teams get to bat an equal number of times in extra innings."

Except it's ALWAYS been that way. Plus, the game is set up such that every inning, including extras, are divided between top and bottom half, with the home team getting the bottom. If the eighth inning ends with the home team up by one, and the visitor can't score to tie or surpass the lead of the home team in the top of the ninth, the home team doesn't even bat in the ninth. I'm gonna stick my neck out really far and presume you know this. The home team has ALWAYS had the opportunity to bat in the bottom half of ANY inning. Thus, there's been no rule change to given anyone an extra chance after having failed to win according to existing rules. The NFL change was just such a wussy rule change. Pay attention.

I'm not a tennis guy, but I believe those were always the rules as well. But tennis is already a game for those who can't play football.

" Don't forget the traumatic brain injuries. What's more fun than seeing your favorite athlete become a gibbering idiot in his retirement?"

Point out which player endured that potential at gun point. Nice try at trying to find fault. Typical of a leftist with no actual argument.

"I've actually never been all that interested in watching big beefy guys grabbing and jumping on each other. I never played much football, and I'm glad I didn't."

No doubt you question your masculinity. There's professional help for that. Throughout human history, there's always been contact sports, often as another means of training for actual combat. Girly men were never much into it, but it made better defenders and in more recent times, under the right tutelage, develops character, team work and a host of other beneficial attribute. But girly men were never much into it.

"I know too many guys who screwed up their knees playing high school football and are still living with the pain fifty years later."

Which were forced at gunpoint to participate.

"Neither have I, but I stopped watching baseball on TV a long time ago because I got sick of watching batters stepping out of the batters box and pitchers stepping off the mound."

Many have. I'm not one of them. Now that I'm pretty much retired, I'm considering more time in front of the tube enjoying the leisurely pace of the game...such as any of that still exists.

"I actually agree with you on this one. I thought baseball was much cooler when a player hit a home run and ran the bases like it wasn't a big deal. I think Mike Ditka's a jerk, though"

Yeah...many wienie lefties don't.

Marshal Art said...

"Brandon"

What the FUCK! does that have to do with the topic of this post??? Are you really feo?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Art,
Yes hyperbolic. But you have to wonder when that's all some people talk about.

VinnyJH57 said...

Except it's ALWAYS been that way.

So you would be fine with football's current overtime rule if it had always been what it is now. It's the fact that they changed the rule that makes it unmanly. You do know, don't you, that modern football is vastly different than it was a hundred years ago due to lots of rule changes?

What it really comes down to is that you liked the rule the way it was. You can't accept that other people might think that the new rule makes the game more interesting, so you spew your bile at anyone who thinks differently than you.

Point out which player endured that potential at gun point.

People take lots of stupid risks voluntarily. I just don't take much pleasure in watching them.

Throughout human history, there's always been contact sports, often as another means of training for actual combat.

People used to take pleasure in watching jousting and gladiator fighting. So what?

Which were forced at gunpoint to participate.

As far as I know, none of my friends from high school was forced to play football at gunpoint. I think that some of them faced paternal pressure to play because their fathers believed football “develops character, team work and a host of other beneficial attribute[s].” I'm glad my father let me play whatever sports I wanted to play. In fact, he wouldn't let any of us to play tackle football until we got to high school. I think he hoped we would become more interested in other sports. It seems to have worked since only one of my brothers played football.

Yeah...many wienie lefties don't.

Don't what? Don't agree with you on this? Don't think baseball was cooler when players didn't show off? Don't think Mike Ditka's a jerk?

Brandon Brick said...

Who the hell is Feo, a Cheetoh?

Marshal Art said...

"Who the hell is Feo, a Cheetoh?"

He's like you...another low intellect person who thinks himself in possession of the authority to post off topic comments which wouldn't be intelligent in a post devoted to the subject of the off topic comment. That's why I suspect you're him.

You're off topic comments will be deleted soon, as will any others even remotely related to it you may think yourself clever in posting. Just so you know when they no longer appear.

Marshal Art said...

"So you would be fine with football's current overtime rule if it had always been what it is now."

No, because it still has no relation to fair play or reason. It's still a rule which rewards failure with a mulligan.

"It's the fact that they changed the rule that makes it unmanly."

It's the fact that they changed it from something that was already fine and widely accepted as reasonable to that which was compelled by whining which does. Try to keep up.

"You do know, don't you, that modern football is vastly different than it was a hundred years ago due to lots of rule changes?"

Yes I do. I also know that fact is irrelevant to the whiny reasoning behind this particular change. I would also add that most rule changes in the sport in recent years are foolish and unnecessary as well, be it rules of contact or things like moving the yard line from which they kick off and begin a possession after a touchback. The wild card rule is also another rule compelled by whining and abject greed. So long are there are even amounts of divisions, only division winners should be in the playoffs. This goes for baseball and other sports who use that whine compelled rule, too.

"What it really comes down to is that you liked the rule the way it was."

Because it's without question the better rule. Haven't seen any compelling argument to the contrary.

"You can't accept that other people might think that the new rule makes the game more interesting, so you spew your bile at anyone who thinks differently than you."

No doubt you need to think so given you've no compelling argument which is the least bit persuasive...kinda like most, if not all, of your arguments. But this is the same as some who've said I don't respect the opinions of others, which I have no obligation to do. Everyone's entitled to their own, but not every one of them is worthy of respect.

"People take lots of stupid risks voluntarily. I just don't take much pleasure in watching them."

Good for you. Don't watch.

"People used to take pleasure in watching jousting and gladiator fighting. So what?"

Is that supposed to be a point? At least it affirms what I said. There have always been contact sports.

" As far as I know, none of my friends from high school was forced to play football at gunpoint."

Right. They chose to play the game. And despite any pressure some might have had from their fathers, that doesn't change the fact that most wanted to play, chose to play and couldn't wait to get on a team. Many others were left out for lack of ability and were unhappy with that, but love the game anyway.

"In fact, he wouldn't let any of us to play tackle football until we got to high school."

Many parents feel that way. I've no problem with it. In your case, he may have recognized you were a little wienie of a kid and would be crushed. It's his responsibility to protect his family. Good on him.

" Don't what? Don't agree with you on this? Don't think baseball was cooler when players didn't show off? Don't think Mike Ditka's a jerk?"

That was a typo. Many wienies think Ditka's a jerk.

Brandon Brick said...

Ah yes, I see Glenn's the type who thinks he knows what is best for everyone else.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I see Brandon is an ass who misrepresents others' positions.

Marshal Art said...

Ah yes, I see "Brandon Brick" is the type who has nothing to say, but flaps his gums anyway.

Craig said...

You must be so proud to define yourself by the things you "hate". What a bizarre way to live. I feel like most people tend to ignore things they "hate", instead of revel in them.

Marshal Art said...

You must be so proud to pretend anyone would be defining themselves by listing pet peeves. How bizarre to suppose that doing so constitutes "reveling in them". Feel free to limit your blog posts to weighty matters. Every now and then I like to ramble on matters of less importance. Feel free to pervert my intentions if doing so makes you proud enough to respond in that manner.

Craig said...

You do you, whatever makes you happy. If you think that listing some relatively unimportant things you "hate", will make you happy, then go for it. Don't let anyone discourage you from posting about things you "hate", especially such weighty matters as these. I fully support you doing so, even if others find this a bit odd.

"Hate" away!

Marshal Art said...

Thanks, Craig. I appreciate having your permission to wax philosophically on minutia which peeves me. I know you find it odd compared to your concentration on matters you find of far greater importantance, but I try not to live my life without some dabbling in the less important. Life is short, as you're surely aware, and I enjoy some levity and small talk and other forms of inexpensive pleasures and interest. Clearly that makes me worthy of admonition by some, and I shall continue struggle with the constant torment it brings me. We all have crosses to bear, and this one is most weighty.