Friday, December 23, 2011

A Chance to Breathe

I am in my second month of a new job. It has consumed my time as I often do twelve hours or more per day. This past week has slowed a bit due to the upcoming holidays, but overall I have a difficult time paying attention to what's going on in the world. More to the point, I have a difficult time getting into any one issue deeply enough to then do a post about it. That's life. I have a chance to recover from my long period of no better than part-time work in a way that my job of the previous nine months did not provide. So, it's basically work, sleep, work and then take care of personal issues on that part of the weekend through which I'm not sleeping.

Fortunately, I am now entering a four-day weekend, as this company regards Christmas Eve as a holiday also. Thus, we are given Friday off for Christmas Eve being on Saturday, and Monday off for Christmas being on Sunday. Pretty cool. Unfortunately, they also have a policy of a ninety day probationary period during which candidates for employment do not receive holiday pay. All told, I'll be out a week's pay having begun this gig on Nov. 7.

But, I'll take the time off. Always. The best part about being unemployed was the free time. I just love free time. Ever notice that with free time you can work if you want to, but if you have a job all you can do is work? Doesn't seem right.

Another downside to this gig is that I'm on a flex schedule. That's like being on call. Pretty much every day I get a call and have to be at work within two hours. The drive is forty-five minutes. I'm usually sleeping when the call comes in. Because the start time changes, I have no regular sleep pattern developing. I sometimes wake up in four or five hours for no apparent reason and will feel relatively rested. Then, if it seems like it's too early, I'll go back to sleep and when I get up to go to work, feel tired all day long. It's exhausting. And when you're pulling doubles 117 miles at five in the bloody AM, you don't want to be nodding.

Anyways, I've got this four day weekend, and then I'll work four shortened days and have a three day weekend and the work will supposedly be kinda slow for about a month or so. Yet, I'll be making more than my previous job paid. I'm not sure if I want to stay with this company for long. I may have no choice in the matter, but I'm still quite open to other opportunities, should they arise. In the meantime, I'm finally making average dough again, and the hours I'm getting mean I'm bringing home more than I've brought home before. So I've got that going for me.

But for now I have the holiday break and hope I can enjoy them AND recharge as well. Posting might still be lean (though I visit other blogs---it's easier right now), but I've got an idea for posts that will carry me, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you have a stable, better paying job and a break as well! I was just wondering yesterday how you were and why the minimal blogging. Merry Christmas, my friend!

Jim said...

Glad you have a better job, and just in time for the holidays, too! I was wondering what had happened to you as I've missed the light-hearted banter on these "pages".

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jeremy D. Troxler said...

Good to hear about your job - even with variable hours and difficult sleep patterns, for many any job is better than no job. It's also easier to think of work as worship unto God if you've been unemployed for a while. Work as unto the Lord, like everything else, for His glory. Hope you are able to find time to get to know co-workers and share about the hope within you. Good to see you posting again - i'll look forward to future posts.

Sherry said...

Merry Christmas, Art!