Thursday, May 05, 2022

Back In The Saddle!!

 With a few minor details to resolve, we are in our new abode in South Carolina.  The furniture took an extra week and a half to arrive, but we managed.  A new dining room table arrived yesterday and was assembled so that we could have our first meal on an actual table in two months.  (We donated our long held dining room set a month before moving)  I set up my desk top computer, but had issues with being able to log into my blog.  Quite some time ago, a new and foreign email ended up attached to my blog which prevented my signing on...though I never really sign out.  Now, after the move, I had to figure out how to get in as the main man of the blog.  That's resolved now, so if anyone has anything to say, I can actually see their comments in moderation and allow or delete them...as the case may be.  Now all I need is an actual desk, which was ordered, but was sent to my old address 950 miles away, along with a new bed frame.  FedEx finally picked up those packages from the foyer of our former building, and now we wait to see where it ends up and whether or not we'll have to re-order.  So my "some assembly required" hassles are not yet complete.  Beyond that, I need to call the cable company to help me get their remote to work on our TV as did the Comcast remote of yore.  The directions are easy enough to follow, but I'm getting no results.  Worse, the actual remote which came with the TV doesn't seem to do anything, so gosh darn it, I have to actually get out of the chair to turn it off and on an adjust the volume.  IT MIGHT AS WELL BE 1965!!!  Having tinnitus, I was able to finally get my remote headphones to work, so that's nice.  As our daughter is visiting, once she's left for home, I'll see about finding work.  While I can get by well enough without it, a part time gig would go along way toward keeping me in bullets and beer, so I'll have to suck it up for another six months to a year or so.   

Two weeks here and we're loving it.  The area's a bit congested, but aside from that, it's a lovely subdivision where our abode stands.  Twenty minutes from the airport, thirty from Charleston, forty-five to fifty from our favorite beach.  Rain's in the forecast, but we're hoping to spend some time at the beach on Saturday and going into Charleston for Mother's Day dinner and wandering on Sunday before Daughter must depart for home on Monday morn.  Life is good.

Anyway, with the nonsensical pro-immorality/disorder discussions going on at Craig's blog, I have thoughts for my next post related to that issue.  Any comments related to recent posts here will now be considered for posting.

9 comments:

Eternity Matters said...

Congratulations and welcome to the Carolinas! So glad you are close to Charleston. We love that city. And that airport is fantastic - so easy to get in and out of. Enjoy!

Craig said...

Good luck. I also love Charleston, it's a great place. Although folks there are maybe just a bit to proud of the fact that they kicked off the Civil War.

Marshal Art said...

Neil,

Just had to pick up my daughter from the airport. So much nicer than dealing with O'Hare.

Craig,

The history of the place is fantastic. I could stroll the streets of Charleston indefinitely. I felt the same about Savannah when I was there. And of course, very nice beaches!

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Lots of history in the area around "Charles Town." I'd find it to be of great interest for daily excursions.

Marshal Art said...

The history of an area was an important factor in choosing this one as a most likely place for our retirement. Now it's just a matter of actually retiring. Trump-haters have delayed my plans in that regard.

Eternity Matters said...

I know it sounds touristy, but the horse-drawn carriage tours in Charleston are outstanding. The drivers are very well versed in the local history. We've been on them three times and always learn new things.

And I'm no foodie, but the dining is outstanding there. You can't throw a stone without hitting a 4-star restaurant. We were staying downtown for my daughter's wedding and I was on "grandpa duty" one afternoon while all the women were doing something else. I wanted to keep it simple, so we went to the first restaurant I could find. Turns out it was Virginia's, a famous place, and I had the best lunch in my life.

Marshal Art said...

Yes indeed, Neil. The wife and I are fully aware of the fine dining options in Charleston! We love fine dining, though our nights out are more spaced out thanks to the Trump-haters and Never-Trumpers and the totally insane who actually supported Biden as...get this...a better choice! There's a good place we've visited twice on Patriot's Point called "The Fish House" (no relation to "Mama's Fish House", our favorite fine dining destination on Maui). Our daughter is visiting from back home and will be popping for Mother's Day eats in Charleston (and also covering her Dad's birthday later in the month). Mom gets to pick the restaurant, but as the kid already insisted she's buying, Mom will no doubt choose based on price. Oh well, there's many great places which won't break the bank, so...Maybe we'll try Virginia's! We're thinking of a mid-afternoon meal to avoid the Mother's Day crowds at dinner time. I'll let you know!

Marshal Art said...

She chose Hyman's on Meeting St. Ate there before and knew it'd be great. It was. Owner came to the table and encouraged us to let him know if there were any problems...which there weren't. One of the best seafood places anywhere.!

Eternity Matters said...

Great choice! We ate there once and loved it.