Monday, January 31, 2022

Harder To Scratch The Itch

 I like engaging in "lively debate" and discourse...even if it's only at Dan's alternate reality of a blog.  But I have to admit that I find dealing with opposing points of view more personally entertaining, and there isn't much available for such except Dan's world of wonder.  Depressing.  There used to be so many options, but not so many now.  On the blogs, Dan's the only leftist left, so it's really like having only stale bread to eat when one is hungry.

Even on Facebook, the lefties have fled.  There weren't that many on my friend list, and among the few who were, most have stricken me like the cowards they usually are.  Lefties don't like being forced to defend their points of view.  So they run away.  The same is true of the lefties that were on my lefty blog roll.  I don't get it, except that it's most likely they're confronted by that which they know is true, but aren't happy it is so.  Better to flee and pretend it doesn't exist.  And I don't require agreement...like Dan does...but only that one present a coherent defense of their positions.  

I think many would still be around if I never questioned their positions...if I "agreed to disagree"...a moronic proposition if ever there was one, because that's not really what they want.  What is wanted by those who say this is to not be questioned...to allow them to carry one with beliefs and opinions they couldn't defend if their lives depended upon doing so.  What they really want is to just not engage any longer, because that's easier than looking at their goofy opinions and seeing just how goofy they are.  

I began trying to engage in the comments following stories on AOL.  Like other home pages, stories scroll across.  Yahoo had it, too, for a while and then discontinued the option out of some bullshit concern for civility.  AOL has limited which stories allow for comments.  Stories about LGBT issues no longer allow comments.  There's simply no option for it.  Some other topics deny as well.  Now, I've run into another issue there, which may be related to my computer or may just be their own shortcomings technically.  What happens is that when one leaves a comment, it stores responses under a notification drop down.  Click on any given notification, and it would take you back to that story and go right to the comment to which a response was given.  It won't do that anymore...or at least hasn't been for a couple of weeks.  It will bring you back to the story, but it only presents three or four comments of people with whom you didn't engage, and then it appears to have a link to all the comments the story generated from readers.   But not only does it no longer take you to your conversation, but when you click on the hyperlink, nothing happens.  Thus, one can't carry on with a conversation, or even know if the respondent is in agreement or opposing.  Very frustrating.  

So I guess I'm left with Deletion Dan. 

Great.

3 comments:

Eternity Matters said...

I've always loved your style. Sorry your opponents have run away! But they can only take so many facts and logical positions before they scurry off after calling you a racist and/or a hater (their usual concession speeches). Some demon-possessed types may be able to stick around.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I find to often that the only response you get from the LEFT when they have no argument, is that they resort to calling you nasty names. No argument, just ad hominem attacks.

Marshal Art said...

I don't mind the name-calling so much as I hate the fact that there's no legitimate attempt to justify it. This is not to say they could actually come up with one. They can't. But it's so lazy that at least to exert some effort to explain why they believe the label is just or accurate would be nice. Alas, it's no more than a parting shot before slinking away in humiliation.