Sunday, August 29, 2021

What The....????

 Five months ago, I donated blood.  It's something I did regularly for the last several years (I'd have to check my account to see if they note when I began donating where I do).  That last donation was whole blood, because my iron levels were down too low to donate as I usually do...which is what they call "double red cells".  Donating double red cells can only be done ever four months.  But as I donated whole blood that five months ago, I expected I could schedule another donation...regardless of which form...the following month.  

Turns out that wasn't the case.  I couldn't schedule an appointment.  The site insisted I was not eligible.  I called and the location I used could not schedule me, either.  They gave me a phone number.  I called but could not speak with anyone.  I left contact info and got no response.  I did that several times.  I kept at it and the other day, I was given a similar number in my state.  I called, left a message and didn't so much wait as expect I'd simply get no response again.

Today I got a call.  I was told I received an explanation by mail last March.  Don't recall that ever happening, but my wife has a habit of deciding what is or isn't junk mail on my behalf, so who knows?  In any case, the nice lady told me I tested positive for Hepatitis C.  Here's the thing...they re-scanned and found it was a false positive and I don't have Hepatitis C.  So what's the problem?  Why can't I donate?  Because the FDA says so.  Any positive test denies, and apparently that includes false positives.  Apparently it doesn't matter how badly they need blood...and I'm told they especially need Type 0+ double red cells...ANY positive test prohibits donation.  One would think they'd take a sample to test a third time to make sure and then make a determination regarding the accuracy of the original test, which already has one affirmation of a false positive.  But no.  They just leave it as one positive and one negative and pretend it's more likely the subject is positive.  And they wonder why folks don't trust the government.  

I was always pleased and happy to donate.  I had to sit for an hour or more for the entire appointment, but I considered it somewhat of an honor to participate and serve my fellow man in this simply, low effort manner.  I thought it was something everyone should do given how easy it is to be helpful in this way.  And of course, there are lives being saved as a result and for that consequence to result from such low effort is a no-brainer.  Yet now I'm denied the privilege because of a well intended but poorly executed safeguard.  

Government.  What an egregious pain in the ass.

UPDATE:

Got a call from Vitalant.  The nice lady tells me there's some reorganization within the outfit tying together all their loose ends, which would somehow lead to my possible reinstatement as a donor.  I'm told to contact them if I don't get a letter outlining the process by February.  Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Eternity Matters said...

Good for you for donating! That same thing happened to me many years ago, though I don't think it was Hep-C . . . can't remember what it was. It was a false positive of some obscure thing from a crude test, then a negative from a more robust test. But although I'd given 3+ gallons to that point and had the negative from a sophisticated test, they didn't want me to donate.

Marshal Art said...

It's my understanding the second test here was also "more robust", and while I understand the precautions, it seems such precautions would call for a third test at least to "break the tie". They even affirmed the first test was a false positive, yet apparently they haven't the faith of their own follow-up that it isn't a false negative. How can a third test not be automatic in such situations? What little charity I perform, I like to regard it as I do my vote...as if all hangs on my action. It provokes a sense of urgency and dedication to the practice. What's more, in this case there will surely be a need not as easily met without my blood. I hate that. I really liked the idea of saving lives, which is how donating blood is marketed, and how easy it is to do. It truly was literally, in my mind if not in reality, "the least I could do".

The call, which I waited to receive for last two or three months, seemed quite final. Unless there's some other option for donating which doesn't include this outfit, I'm out of luck until such time as the FDA bastards alter their protocols. I can't hold my breath that long and don't intend to do so. I find it shameful how easily they blow one off.